The Ellison Chair in International Floriculture sponsors an annual Distinguished Lecture to provide a forum for the thoughtful and provoking consideration of the major issues facing the floriculture industry. Noted experts nationally and internationally are invited to deliver Lectures that stimulate students, faculty, and industry participants into lively and spirited discussions of these issues. The following list of Lectures appear in reverse chronological order with the most recent Lectures appearing first.
20. Debbie Hamrick, North Carolina Farm Bureau; View the 2021 lecture video.
19. Dr. Charlie Hall, Ellison Chair in International Floriculture; View the 2021 lecture video.
18. 2020 Virtual Distinguished Lecture Panel. COVID-19 prevented a live presentation this year but through the power of online technology, the Virtual Lecture was held with a panel of experts from the Ellison Chair Advisory Committee, including Ron Fox from Altman Plants, Liza Roeser from 50Flowers, Diane Blazek from AAS and NGB, and Monique Hakkert from Ball Horticultural Company.
- Introductory comments (Charlie Hall)
- COVID-19 impacts of the grower sector (Ron Fox)
- COVID-19 impacts on the cur flower sector (Liza Roeser)
- COVID-19 impacts on consumers (Diane Blazek)
- COVID-19 impacts of human resource management (Monique Hakkert)
- COVID-19 impacts on the economy (Charlie Hall)
17. Drew Gruenburg, COO, Society of American Florists.; View the 2019 lecture video (YouTube)
16. 2018 Chris Beytes, Editor, GrowerTalks/GreenProfit/Acres Online.; View the 2018 lecture video (YouTube)
15. Lloyd Traven, Co-Owner, Peace Tree Farm.; View the 2017 lecture video (YouTube)
14. Jim Daly, VP of Floralife, Oasis Growers Solutions, and Corporate Research at Smithers-Oasis, Inc.; View the 2016 lecture video (YouTube)
13. Dr. Marco Palma, Associate Professor & Extension Economist, Texas A&M University; View the 2015 lecture video (YouTube)
12. Phil Wilson, General Manager, Lower Colorado River Authority, Austin, TX; View the lecture video (YouTube)
11. Stan Pohmer, Pohmer Consulting Group, Minnesota; View the lecture video (YouTube)
10. Michael Geary, CEO, OFA–The Association of Horticultural Professionals; View the lecture video (YouTube)
9. Bill McKinley, Director of the Benz School of Floral Design, Texas A&M University; View the lecture video (YouTube)
8. Jon Pawlow, Counsel, Subcommittee on Water Resources and the Environment, Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, U.S. House of Representatives; View the lecture video (YouTube)
7. Dr. Michael Parrella, Chair, Department of Entomology, UC Davis, October 28, 2009; View the lecture video (YouTube)
6. Bob Dolibois, Executive Vice President, American Nursery & Landscape Association (ANLA), Wednesday, October 8, 2008; View the lecture video (YouTube)
5. Dr. Peter Bretting, National Program Leader for Plant Germplasm and Genomes, USDA/ARS, Horticultural Genetic Resources: Current Status and Future Prospects, Wednesday, April 9, 2008; View the lecture video (YouTube)
4. Anna Caroline Ball, President and CEO, Ball Horticultural Co., Driving Forces Shaping the Future of the Floriculture Industry, Wednesday, October 10, 2007; View the lecture video (YouTube)
3. Jim Prewitt, CEO and Founder, Landmark Nurseries, Inc., Emerging Issues and Opportunities in the Green Industry, Wednesday, February 21, 2007; View the lecture video (YouTube)
2. Ernesto Vélez Koppel, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Association of Colombian Flower Growers and Exporters (ASOCOLFLORES), Floriculture in Columbia: A case of competitive entrepreneurship with social and environmental responsibility, in a country with difficult and changing conditions, Wednesday, October 11, 2006; View the presentation paper (83 kb PDF file)
1. Dr. Charles R. Hall, Professor, University of Tennessee (formerly Extension Economist at Texas A&M University, 1988-2002), The U.S. Floricultural Industry: Structural Changes, Marketing Practices, and Economic Impacts, Wednesday, April 11, 2006; View the presentation paper (195 kb PDF file)